Sunday, October 08, 2006

Quiet time

Two kiddos at home with Scarlet fever afforded a slow quiet day today. I am especially thankful that antibiotics make what used to be a serious threat now just simple recovery time. We are blessed people.

Eli and I sat and watched Extreme Home Makeover tonight. A headache sobered his normally talkative self, and I think made him extra emotional too.... he teared up multiple times during the show. But one moment was especially insightful.

This episode covered the building of a home for a mom who lost the use of her legs after protecting her young children during a tornado in Tennessee. While in the hospital following the storm, neighbors tried to salvage whatever was left of the family's belongings while dad tended to their young boys and mom in the hospital. Not much was left, but a cherished China set of her grandmother's, though shattered and broken into pieces, was preciously collected and guarded among their belongings.

One of the endeavors of the team was to take these pieces, and make with them a mosaic table top that became the focus on the front porch of the new home. Eli loved it. I loved even more his heart in the thoughts he expressed;

'Mom- look! It's just like Jesus! Sometimes he takes broken things and makes them more beautiful than they even were the first time!'

Praise God-- this is just so true.

6 comments:

Danna said...

How does a 7 year old get to be so wise?! That is so awesome! I got a little teary when I read this. :o)

I missed you this morning; actually, I have been missing you alot lately. We need to get together.

Your husby did an awesome job this morning, as usual.

Oh, and we are in for Friday night!

I love you!

tim rush said...

That is too cool. Who is this kid?

And, uh, we want to be in for Friday too!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Heather. Just awesome. Thanks for the comment on my poetry. I think I could have arranged it better though. Not much thought was put into it.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Heather. Just awesome. Thanks for the comment on my poetry. I think I could have arranged it better though. Not much thought was put into it.

Jeanne said...

Every time I read your blog I come away with tears of relief that Eli can so easily sum up all it means to really be His and use so few words to say it. Thank you for allowing us to look into the windows of his heart and see God clearer. I wish Eli would write a book on understanding God.

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I don't miss EMHE... Love it! And that Eli... he's one of God's best.

Great to visit your blog home again. I went to Nashville for a ZOE Conference recently. While I was perusing some books on display that were for sale, I happen to run across Terry Rush's EMPOWERING THE ORDINARY. You know where I'm going with this... I was, like, Hey... that's Heather on the cover! You're a cover girl, you hot little Mama!

So far I'm digging the lessons. Great stuff!

And, honey, seeing God in you the way I do sure does make you anything but ordinary. Thank you for deciding to leave your kids the legacy of loving Him so deeply...

Miss you...