Saturday, August 05, 2006

Movie Night

Tonight, our kiddos were invited to spend the night and that left us with an opportunity for a date! WOO HOO!

So after dinner, we hit the movies.

I don't know if M. Night Shyamalan has a cult following, but if he does, I'm in it.
I have yet to walk away from one of his movies and simply say "That was a good movie."
On the surface, every movie of his merits "good" just by it's story, suspense, surprise, and the point in every movie where he gets you to gasp out loud in just a good old fashioned scary moment.

I know some people don't get them or like them, but if you follow the symbolism in each, you know why I think he is brilliant.
Jason and I drove home tonight reflecting on the spiritual and symbolic theme of each movie he has made. I'd put the contents of our discussion down, but I don't want to ruin the current movie. If your a fan though, find another fan.... and enjoy the discussion that ensues as you think about the themes.

Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
Signs
The Village
The Lady in the Water

Jason thinks that 10 years from now he will make a movie that will tie all of his previous movies together. I don't know what that would look like, but I know I would love it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Heather! I just saw Lady in the Water with my sis the other day! Loved it.

Good to hear from you! Thanks for writing! (Darla)

brandonandkatie said...

Hey Heather! I had mixed feelings on the latest from M. Night, but still a good movie all in all. Anyway, most people don't know about M. Night's real first movie called Wide Awake. I definitely suggest you see that one.

Hope things are going well for you all.

-Brandon

Heather said...

Was his first one 'Wide Awake' or 'Praying with Anger'? I've been intrigued to see them both, but haven't looked for them yet.
This one is a bit of a departure for sure from his previous movies.

Been following you both - and love you tons! ( Except I want you to LOVE this last movie!! Haha!!)

Tell Katie hi! - Heather