Thursday, February 16, 2006

More.... abundant life

I have to post this quote from C.S. Lewis as I just continue to be challenged by my study this week...

"If there lurks in most modern minds the notion that to desire our own good and earnestly hope for the enjoyment of it is a bad thing,I submit this notion has crept in from Kantand the Stoics and is no part of the Christian faith. Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that our Lord finds our desires not to strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at sea. We are far to easily pleased."

I didn't grow up with knowing we serve a God who not only desires for us to believe in Him but desires for us to know His desire to reward us when we seek Him. I knew abundant life only as phrase, not as an intention of relationship. I love growing in the depth of this meaning! I love growing more and more in love with Him!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

AMEN!