Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Swallowed Up " ...so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life."

Julia - "Mommy, I promise I'll eat broccoli and cheese for you when I grow up."

In another note....

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. ( I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls. ) Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle ( meek) and humble ( lowly) in heart, and you will find rest ( relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet ) for your souls. For my yoke is wholesome ( useful, good- not harsh, hard, sharp or pressing, but comfortable, gracious and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne." Mt. 11:28-30

Today I was struck at the constant diversity of Jesus' daily purpose. He walks through towns, healing and amazing people, drawing them in curiosity & appreciation unto Himself. At the same time, those who have been following Him for a little while now, He begins to educate on the true nature of being a disciple of His. And to the religious leaders of the day, He strongly reminds them of the true nature of the Father they claim to serve.

Twice in these 4 chapters, He says something that stuck out to me. "Go and learn what this means: I desire mercy ( that is, readiness to help those in trouble) and not sacrifice and sacrificial victims." (9:13) "And if you had only know what this saying means, ' I desire mercy, (readiness to help, to spare, to forgive) rather than sacrifice and sacrificial victims', you would not have condemned the guiltless." (12:17)

I don't know why it caught my attention differently this morning, but those statements from Jesus, helped me understand why He can confidently invite us to Himself and promise that His burden is light. ( 11:28-30) One Who embodies mercy is a peace bringing friend. His gentleness and humility promise to not intimidate, but relieve. Which of us in the daily struggles of life doesn't need that!

"A disciple is not above his teacher, nor is a servant or slave above his master."
(10:24)

I'm hoping to begin more and more to embody the same qualities that first invited me to Him, so that those who encounter me today also get the glimpse of Him that makes them wonder why this One they've met is so different from the world around them.

I need lots of prayers to make that happen.

No comments: