Monday, July 19, 2010

Closets of the heart...

This morning I had camped in my prayers before God about some areas in my heart in which I just continue to remain at arm's length from people... reluctant to accept help or just in general prefer to be independent... and what God might need to heal in me to be more open and relational. I prayed, and 'ended' my portion of prayer, and then decided to pick up in my reading where I had left off yesterday. That's where God picked up and responded to me.

"By entering through faith into what God has always wanted to do for us- set us right with Him, make us fit for Him, we have it all together with God because of our Master Jesus. And that's not all: We throw open our doors to God and discover at the same moment that He has already thrown open His door to us. We find ourselves standing where we always hoped we might stand - out in the wide open spaces of God's grace and glory, standing tall and shouting our praise." Romans 5: 1-3ish. (The Message)

As I listened, I realized God was showing me a picture in my mind. In certain pockets of my heart, for any myriad of reasons well rationalized out by my enemy, I only slowly inch open a creaky door.. because I fear what I imagine on the other side. And because I picture the wrong response, because I believed the lies... I take this slow, agonizing journey to open up to this beautiful scene that could have been mine minutes ago. (Or years ago.)

I share this because I figure, once again, it's probably not just me. Somewhere, someone else is wondering what would happen if they really just flung that door open fearlessly.

Here's to the praiseworthy grace and glory on the other side.... and to choosing to walk right through and live in the freedom of it. :-)

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Your insight never ceases to amaze me. Thank you, my friend.

Lindsay said...

Okay, so I read these verses today during my quiet time, and it ended up as my Bible Highlight for the day because you already had me thinking about it.

What hit me about it was this: "We throw open our doors" and "find ourselves standing where we always hoped we might stand--out in the wide open spaces of God's grace and glory." We're already standing there! We just can't see it because we've got the door in our face, closed to Him. It's when we throw the door open that we realize where we've been standing the whole time: in His grace and glory. And it's after we throw open our door to that discovery that we stand tall and shout our praise of Him. I love it!

So thanks for already having this verse on my mind so that I could catch that from Him today. I love the way He works. :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your heart and life a bit with us. I just read your blog posts for the past 6-8 times you posted. I laughed and teared up. Thank you for sharing. We love you. Your family will always have a special place in mine and Dougle's heart.